Marine Biological Station Prof Dr. Ioan Borcea, AgigeaServiciul MEDIA2019-01-10T10:28:33+03:00
Address: Str. Ioan Borcea,9007018, Constanța, România
Manager: CS III Emanuel Ștefan BALTAG
Marine Biological Station “King Ferdinand” has been founded in 1926, by the High Royal Decree of 1 March 1926 and it was the first marine research institution in Romania. Its founder, professor Ioan Borcea was the Dean of the Faculty of Natural Sciences of the “Alexandru Ioan Cuza” University of Iasi, the director of the Natural History Museum of Iasi, the minister of Cults and Public Instruction between 1919 and 1920.
In 1990, the Marine Biological Station “Prof Dr. Ioan Borcea” was returned to the “Alexandru Ioan Cuza” University of Iasi. Its first director after the Revolution from 1989, prof. Gheorghe Mustata, rearranged the location and reorganized the summer courses for students.
Students and researchers from Romania and international scientific institutions have participated yearly to workshops, conferences and summers schools proceeded at the Marine Biological Station of Agigea. Since 1990, teaching programs and research activities continue up today. There have been made significant efforts to provide scientists and students with adequate teaching laboratories, research facilities and accommodation.
Between 1990 and 2008 at the Marine Biological Station of Agigea were carried out 15 research grants from the government, which facilitated the acquisition of scientific equipment. Via the University of Iasi funds, researchers will be able to collect their samples with a new research vessel.